When you use Espy (Driver & Rider), you trust us with your information. We are committed to keeping that trust. That starts with helping you understand our privacy practices.
This policy describes the information we collect, how it is used and shared, and your choices regarding this information. We recommend that you read this along with our Privacy Overview, which highlights key points about our privacy practices (including what information we collect, when we collect it, and how we use it).
Last Modified: January 25, 2019
Effective Date: July 25, 2019
Data Collections And Uses
This policy applies to users of Espy Innovation services anywhere in the United States, including users of Espy innovation apps, websites, features or other services.
This policy describes how Espy innovation collect and use personal information to provide our services. This policy applies to all users of our apps, websites, features or other services anywhere in the United States.
This policy specifically applies to:
▪ Riders: users who request or receive transportation
▪ Drivers: users who provide transportation individually or through partner transportation companies
This policy also applies to those who provide information to Espy innovation in connection with an application to use our services, or whose information Espy innovation otherwise receives in connection with its services . All those subject to this policy are referred to as “users” for purposes of this policy.
The practices described in this policy are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we only engage in the practices described in this policy particular in the United States as permitted under the laws of the United States. Please contact us if you have questions on our practices in your State.
Espy Innovation provides services to users throughout the United States. If you use our services in the United States, Espy innovation is the data controller for your information.
S’py Global inc. (Espy Innovation).
936 Bluffview Drive
Questions, comments and complaints about Espy innovation’s data practices can be submitted to Espy innovation’s data protection office through here.
We process personal information inside the United States.
The Information We Collect
Espy Innovation collects:
▪ Information that you provide to Espy innovation , such as when you create your Espy (Wheels/Driver) account.
▪ Information created when you use our services, such as location, usage and device information.
▪ Information from other sources, such as Espy Innovation partners and third parties.
The following information is collected by or on behalf of Espy Innovation:
1 Information you provide
This may include:
▪ User profile: We collect information when you create or update your Espy (Wheels/Driver) account. This may include your name, email, phone number, login name and password, address, payment or banking information (including related payment verification information), government identification numbers such as Social Security number, driver’s license or passport if required by law, birth date, photo and signature. This also includes vehicle or insurance information of drivers. This also includes the preferences and settings that you enable for your Espy (Wheels/Driver) account.
▪ Background check information: We may collect background check information if you sign up to use Espy (Wheels/Driver) services. This may include information such as your driver history or criminal record (where permitted by law). This information may be collected by a vendor on Espy innovation’s behalf.
▪ Demographic data: We may collect demographic information about you, including through user surveys.
▪ User content: We may collect information that you submit when you contact Espy innovation customer support, provide ratings or compliments for other users, or otherwise.
2 Information created when you use our services
This may include:
▪ Location Information
Depending on the Espy innovation services that you use, and your app settings or device permissions, we may collect your precise or approximate location information as determined through data such as GPS, IP address and WiFi.
▪ If you are a driver, Espy Innovation collects location information when the Espy app is running in the foreground (app open and on-screen) or background (app open but not on screen) of your device.
▪ If you are a rider and have provided permission for the processing of location data, Espy innovation collects location information when the Espy innovation app is running in the foreground. In certain areas, Espy innovation also collects this information when the Espy innovation app is running in the background of your device if this collection is enabled through your app settings or device permissions.
▪ Riders and recipients may use the Espy innovation app without enabling Espy innovation to collect their location information. However, this may affect the functionality available on your Espy innovation app. For example, if you do not enable Espy innovation to collect your location information, you will have to manually enter your pickup address. In addition, location information will be collected from the driver during your trip and linked to your account, even if you have not enabled Espy innovation to collect your location information.
▪ Transaction Information
We collect transaction details related to your use of our services, including the type of services you requested or provided, your order details, delivery information, date and time the service was provided, amount charged, distance traveled, and payment method. Additionally, if someone uses your promotion code, we may associate your name with that person.
▪ Usage information
We collect information about how you interact with our services. This includes information such as access dates and times, app features or pages viewed, app crashes and other system activity, type of browser, and third-party sites or service you were using before interacting with our services. In some cases, we collect this information through cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies that create and maintain unique identifiers. To learn more about these technologies, please see our Cookie Statement.
▪ Device Information
We may collect information about the devices you use to access our services, including the hardware models, device IP address, operating systems and versions, software, file names and versions, preferred languages, unique device identifiers, advertising identifiers, serial numbers, device motion information, and mobile network information.
▪ Communications data
We enable users to communicate with each other and Espy innovation through the Espy (Wheels/Driver) apps, websites, and other services. For example, we enable drivers and riders, to call or text each other. To provide this service, Espy innovation receives some information regarding the calls or texts, including the date and time of the call/text, and the content of the communications. Espy innovation may also use this information for customer support services (including to resolve disputes between users), for safety and security purposes, to improve our products and services and for analytics.
3 Information from other sources
These may include:
▪ User feedback, such as as ratings or compliments.
▪ Users providing your information in connection with referral programs.
▪ Users requesting services for or on your behalf.
▪ Users or others providing information in connection with claims or disputes.
▪ Espy innovation partners through which you create or access your Espy innovation account, such as payment providers, social media services, on-demand music services, or apps or websites.
▪ Insurance providers (if you are a driver).
▪ Financial services providers (if you are a driver).
How We Use Your Information
Espy innovation collects and uses information to enable reliable and convenient transportation, delivery and other products and services. We also use the information we collect:
▪ To enhance the safety and security of our users and services
▪ For customer support
▪ For research and development
▪ To enable communications to or between users
▪ To provide promotions or contests
▪ In connection with legal proceedings
Espy innovation does not sell or share your personal information to third parties for third party direct marketing purposes.
Espy innovation uses the information it collects for purposes including:
1 Providing services and features
Espy innovation uses the information we collect to provide, personalize, maintain and improve our products and services. This includes using the information to:
▪ Create and update your account.
▪ Verify your identity.
▪ Enable transportation, deliveries, and other services. This includes automated processing of your information to enable Dynamic Pricing, in which the price of a ride is determined based on constantly varying factors such as the estimated time and distance of the predicted route, estimated traffic, and the number of riders and drivers using Espy innovation at a given moment.
▪ Process or facilitate payments for those services.
▪ Offer, obtain, provide or facilitate insurance or financing solutions in connection with our services.
▪ To track the progress of your ride.
▪ Enable features that allow you to share information with other people, such as when you submit a compliment about a driver, refer a friend to Espy (Wheels/Driver), fares, or share your ETA.
▪ Enable features to personalize your Espy innovation account, such as creating bookmarks for your favorite places, and to enable quick access to previous destinations.
▪ Enable Accessibility features that make it easier for users with disabilities to use our services, such as those which enable deaf or hard-of-hearing drivers to alert their riders of their disabilities, allow only text messages from riders, and to receive flashing trip request notifications instead of sound notifications.
▪ Perform internal operations necessary to provide our services, including to troubleshoot software bugs and operational problems, to conduct data analysis, testing, and research, and to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends.
2 Safety and security
We use your data to help maintain the safety, security and integrity of our services and users. This includes, for example:
▪ Screening drivers and delivery partners prior to enabling their use of our services and at subsequent intervals, including through reviews of background checks where permitted by law, to prevent use of our services by unsafe drivers.
▪ Using information from drivers’ devices to identify unsafe driving behavior such as speeding or harsh braking and acceleration, and to raise awareness among drivers regarding such behaviors.
▪ Using device, location, profile, usage and other information to prevent, detect, and combat fraud or unsafe activities. This includes processing of such information, in certain countries, to identify practices or patterns that indicate fraud or risk of safety incidents. This may also include information from third parties. In certain cases such incidents may lead to deactivation by means of an automated decision making process.
▪ Using user ratings to encourage improvement by affected users, and as grounds for deactivating users with ratings below a certain minimum as may be required in their area.
3 Customer support
Espy innovation uses the information we collect (including recordings of customer support calls after notice to you and with your consent) to assist you when you contact our customer support services, including to:
▪ Direct your questions to the appropriate customer support person
▪ Investigate and address your concerns
▪ Monitor and improve our customer support responses
4 Research and development
We may use the information we collect for testing, research, analysis and product development. This allows us to improve and enhance the safety and security of our services, develop new features and products, and facilitate insurance and finance solutions in connection with our services.
5 Communications among users Espy innovation uses the information we collect to enable communications between our users. For example, a driver may text or call a rider to confirm a pickup location.
6 Communications from Espy innovation
Espy innovation may use the information we collect to communicate with you about products, services, promotions, studies, surveys, news, updates and events.
Espy innovation may also use the information to promote and process contests and sweepstakes, fulfill any related awards, and serve you relevant ads and content about our services and those of our business partners. You may receive some of these communications based on your profile as an Espy innovation user.
7 Legal proceedings and requirements
We may use the information we collect to investigate or address claims or disputes relating to your use of Espy innovation services, or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities, and official inquiries.
Cookies And Third Party Technologies
▪ Authenticating users
▪ Remembering user preferences and settings
▪ Determining the popularity of content
▪ Delivering and measuring the effectiveness of advertising campaigns
Information Sharing And Disclosure
Espy innovation services and features require that we share information with other users or at your request. We may also share your information with our affiliates, subsidiaries and business partners, for legal reasons or in connection with claims or disputes.
Espy innovation may share the information we collect:
1 With other users
▪ For example, if you are a rider, we may share your first name, average rider rating given by drivers, and pickup and/or dropoff locations with drivers.
▪ If you are a driver or delivery partner, we may share information with your rider(s) including name and photo; vehicle make, model, color, license plate, and vehicle photo; location; average rating provided by riders; total number of trips; for how long you have been using the Espy (Wheels/Driver) app; and contact information (depending upon applicable laws). If you choose to complete a driver profile, we may also share any information associated with that profile, including information that you submit and compliments that past riders have submitted about you. The rider/recipient will also receive a receipt containing information such as a breakdown of amounts charged, your first name, photo, and a map of the route you took.
2 At your request
This includes sharing your information with:
▪ Other people at your request. For example, we may share your ETA and location with a friend at your request, or your trip information when you split a fare with a friend.
3 With the owner of Espy (Wheels/Driver) accounts that you may use
If you use a profile associated with another party we may share your trip information with the owner of that profile.
4 With Espy innovation subsidiaries and affiliates
We share information with our subsidiaries and affiliates to help us provide our services or conduct data processing on our behalf.
5 With Espy innovation service providers and business partners
Espy innovation may provide information to its vendors, consultants, marketing partners, research firms, and other service providers or business partners. This may include, for example:
▪ Payment processors and facilitators.
▪ Background check providers (drivers only).
▪ Cloud storage providers.
▪ Marketing partners and marketing platform providers.
▪ Data analytics providers.
▪ Research partners, including those performing surveys or research projects in partnership with Espy innovation or on Espy innovation behalf.
▪ Vendors that assist Espy innovation to enhance the safety and security of its apps.
▪ Consultants, lawyers, accountants and other professional service providers.
▪ Fleet partners.
▪ Insurance and financing partners.
▪ Vehicle solution vendors or third party vehicle suppliers.
6 For legal reasons or in the event of a dispute we may share your information if we believe it is required by applicable law, regulation, operating agreement, legal process or governmental request, or where the disclosure is otherwise appropriate due to safety or similar concerns.
This includes sharing your information with law enforcement officials, government authorities, airports (if required by the airport authorities as a condition of operating on airport property), or other third parties as necessary to enforce our Terms of Service, user agreements, or other policies, to protect Espy innovation rights or property or the rights, safety or property of others, or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to your use of our services. If you use another person’s credit card, we may be required by law to share information with that credit card holder, including trip information.
This also includes sharing your information with others in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or into another company.
Please see Espy innovation Guidelines for Law Enforcement Authorities for more information.
8 With your consent
Espy innovation may share your information other than as described in this policy if we notify you and you consent to the sharing.
Information Retention And Deletion
Espy innovation retains user profile and other information for as long as you maintain your Espy (Wheels/Driver) account.
Espy innovation retains transaction, location, usage and other information for 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance or other requirements in the places in which it operates. Espy innovation thereafter deletes or anonymizes such information in accordance with applicable laws.
Users may request deletion of their accounts at any time. Following such request, Espy innovation deletes the information that it is not required to retain, and restricts access to or use of any information it is required to retain.
Espy innovation requires user profile information in order to provide its services, and retains such information for as long you maintain your Espy (Wheels/Driver) account.
Espy innovation retains certain information, including transaction, location, device and usage information, for a minimum of 7 years in connection with regulatory, tax, insurance and other requirements in the places in which it operates. Once such information is no longer necessary to provide Espy innovation services, enable customer support, enhance the user experience or other operational purposes, Espy innovation takes steps to prevent access to or use of such information for any purpose other than compliance with these requirements or for purposes of safety, security and fraud prevention and detection.
You may request deletion of your account at any time through the Privacy Settings in the Espy (Wheels/Driver) app, or via Espy innovation website (riders and drivers).
Following such request, Espy innovation deletes the information that it is not required to retain. In certain circumstances, Espy innovation may be unable to delete your account, such as if there is an outstanding credit on your account or an unresolved claim or dispute. Upon resolution of the issue preventing deletion, Espy innovation will delete your account as described above.
Espy innovation may also retain certain information if necessary for its legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing users' safety and security. For example, if Espy innovation shuts down a user's account because of unsafe behavior or security incidents, Espy innovation may retain certain information about that account to prevent that user from opening a new Espy(Wheels/Driver) account in the future.
We may occasionally update this policy.
We may occasionally update this policy. If we make significant changes, we will notify you of the changes through the Espy(Wheels/Driver) apps or through others means, such as email. To the extent permitted under applicable law, by using our services after such notice, you consent to our updates to this policy.
We encourage you to periodically review this policy for the latest information on our privacy practices. We will also make prior versions of our privacy policies available for review.